Stop Sun Shaming

‘Tis the season to see social media plastered with tweets and updates about the amazing weather. Instagram is overloaded with stories of beer gardens and picnics. Twitter is full of people going on, in 140 characters, about their hot-day plans. But the worst of all? The worst is the summer shamers. Those who use social media to shame anyone about what they do or wear in this weather.

It’s 27 degrees outside and I just got home from meeting my mate for a coffee. I’m about to stick Magic Mike on and eat my weight in Wispa biscuits but the pang of guilt over not baking in the sun punches me in the stomach quicker than I start busting a move to Pony alongside Channing.

There’s something about the temperature going over 20 that switches on a terrible trait in people. One that makes them think it’s their right to judge what others do during the summer. But I have news for those people.

Some people can’t handle the heat.
Some people burn.
Some people over heat.
Some people are shit scared of the sheer scale of wildlife that is suddenly attracted to you for the next few months.
Some people feel too self conscious in anything other than clothes that make them too sweaty.
Some people don’t give a shit about the weather and just want to go about their lives without interference from others.

People think they mean well. Asking what you’re up to for the bank holiday. Asking how you’re going to make the most of the weather. Asking why you’re wearing jeans when the sweat is so god damn real.

But for people who don’t enjoy summer, this is not well received and in some cases can be mentally and emotionally harmful.

Which brings me to the body shamers. I’ve always hated my legs. Growing up, sitting in a park or a BBQ or a beer garden in anything other than leggings was unfathomable. I’d stare at all of the beauties in their flowing summer dresses, tans and glowing limbs and absolutely hate myself. I’ve evolved but that will always be there somewhere.

So why other people think it’s their right to air their beliefs on your choice of attire – whether you’re covered from head to toe or whether your string bikini for a stroll to McDonalds being innappropriate – is beyond me.

You see. For some people, being out. Being bared. Being hot. Being scared. It’s not fun. No matter how many pop up roof gardens and halloumi fries are there to tempt you, it can still be an unenjoyable experience.

So this summer, go out, enjoy yourself, get burned, drink cider with mountains of ice, hit up a fake beach, get your tan on, Insta story your ice cold Sauv, tweet your disbelief at how nice it is, but please, please don’t involve yourself in what anyone else is doing.

You’re not the Sun Police.

9 Comments

1. May 26, 2017 / 9:28 pm

Love this post! I’m one of those strange beings who dislike hot weather so I’ll be hiding in a cave until it gets cold again, thank you.

alicered.co.uk

2. May 27, 2017 / 6:40 am

I also loathe summer even though I was born in July. I hate the heat, beaches, sweating (and I sweat a lot), kids not in school, not wearing layers its just an unenjoyable season for me. If you need me I will be in my room counting down the days til autumn. ♥

mooeyandfriends.blogspot.com

3. May 27, 2017 / 12:45 pm

Oh, my god. THIS.

I have ultra-pale skin that burns within five minutes of being in direct sunlight and will not tan, and I have huge thighs that I never want to put on show or subject to chub rub from wearing a skirt or shorts sans leggings.

I really don’t enjoy summer because it involves me feeling perpetually uncomfortable; either physically because I’m too hot, too sticky or chafing, or mentally because I’m self-conscious about what I’m wearing (either tights in hot weather or deigning to have bare legs larger than a size 12), how “gross” my legs look, how pale my skin is, and how often people feel the need to say, “But you’re Australian!”

Ugh. Summer.

4. May 27, 2017 / 4:41 pm

Excellent post. I’m not averse to a sunny day but I do have to hide underneath a parasol thanks to my super-burny pale skin and I really can’t get behind summer clothes – anything floral, pastel or flowing turns me off . I do relish the day, usually in September, when I can gladly encase my legs in some opaque black tights again.

5. May 27, 2017 / 6:46 pm

I do love the sun and like to think that I love going out when it is sunny, but I am not sure if I like it because I should like it or do I really like it. On many occasions when I go out into the sun I feel stifled if it is too hot and I get headaches from heat, so I don’t like to spend too many hours in the sun. Whereas if I stay home all day in the cool air I might look outside and think how nice it is there, feel a bit shame that I am not there, but still sit quite happily inside. I enjoy the sun, not necessarily the heat, and most of the time I don’t know what to wear when it is really warm which makes me very uncomfortable. I don’t actually understand the reason people are sun shaming, as heatwaves are so rare in the UK people are not used to them and many cannot handle such heat. I applaud that you are speaking out about this. Quite frankly, people should care more about just their own business!

6. May 29, 2017 / 9:22 am

Can we get an AMEN for this post?
    I swear this really spoke to my soul. How much I DO NOT enjoy summer is unspeakable. In italy it gets SO effing hot, I’m actually scared I could melt any other moment. And all of my friends are going out and they’re like “come on, it’s summer, let’s go for a walk” a walk, A FUCKING WALK? with this weather? with 45°? are you kidding me or something? But then, you know, the FOMO sinks in and I find myself sweating my body weight in tiny drops on my forhead and in my hair and all over my nice chlotes. I GET SO GROSS. And I just wish I stayed home. Nice. Why would someone not love summer?

BTW I love love love love your blog, I’ve been silently following you since forever and you really are amazing.
    Love you lot!
    Letizia

7. May 30, 2017 / 8:38 pm

Yes!! All my life I’ve heard “are you not a bit hot in that?” because I can’t bring myself to get my arms out.

8. June 1, 2017 / 12:34 pm

“Some people have a mental illness that doesn’t just switch off because Tesco have started selling barbecue food on 3 for 2.”
    THIS THIS, A MILLION TIMES, THIS.

9. June 2, 2017 / 9:14 am

Best post ever! I hate the heat so much and every year I try a bit harder to embrace it but I won’t ever be one of those people who lounges in the sun all day. I burn terribly and get sun stroke so quickly too 🙁 I’ve been challenging myself to wear shorts this year but apart from that, everything is as I’ve always been and people need to read posts like this to help them understand we’re not all sun bathers! People are so quick to say ‘aren’t you hot in that?’ well yeah if I felt comfortable don’t you think I’d whip it off?! Thanks for sharing 🙂 Ellis x // http://www.elliswoolley.co.uk